How to Choose The Best 15 Gallon Fish Tank
- Choosing the aquarium is always a delicate task. It is a basic “tool” for hobbyists. If you make a mistake in the device, it will cost you money, time, worry, and failure … The purpose of this sheet is to give you an overview of buying equipment and aquariums.
- Often you will find promotions with aquariums, filters, heating, and lighting. Sometimes these promotions are financially interesting but sometimes there are major flaws. I recommend that you check that the elements of the package match the size of the aquarium and the advice below.
- The internal volume of the aquarium is the first consideration. Too small a volume will give you more problems than a larger volume, will raise less fish, and will force you to restrict small fish.
- You can choose an aquarium from 15 gallons to 50 gallons, depending on your needs.
Gallery and lighting
- The selection of the Gallery is one of the most important options you must make when buying an aquarium. Indeed, the gallery must have two essential characteristics: providing simple, easy, and complete access to the content of the aquarium on one side and the other to allow accurate lighting of the aquarium. These two points are fundamental because a good collection often constitutes the main component of the aquarium’s price: thus quite subtle to change it later. So don’t buy a suggested aquarium with an insufficient collection.
- Simple access is required because during the cleaning process, you must have easy access to almost all the contents of the aquarium. Therefore, the collection must be as completely open as possible and this is simple and fast. Besides, neon tubes should not interfere with access to the inside of the aquarium.
- Galleries must provide neon-based lighting: galleries that provide lighting with a single light bulb will be banned because such lighting is poor and insufficient. The quantity and electrical power of neon lights must adjust to match the volume of the tank.
- Therefore, the larger the tank, the greater the electrical power of the light (and thus the number of neon lights). This is a basic point because, if there is not enough energy, your plants will not grow properly. It is often difficult or impossible to add neon lights to an existing collection, so the energy provided by the gallery must be accepted from the start.
- Filtering is an important point in the aquarium and should never be underestimated. An aquarium filter is required, which allows the removal and disposal of organic waste (invisible to the naked eye) that pollutes the water. The filtered organic elements are transformed by the filter into elements that are less harmful to the fish and this allows only a 15% change in the amount of aquarium water per week. Without the filter, all water would be changed every day!
- Small internal filters should be avoided entirely by filter foam (and sometimes an activated carbon cartridge) at all costs: these simple filters are inexpensive but only filter a small amount of water without modification (treatment). re) completely organic. These are backup filters or troubleshooting. Also avoid filters under the sand: a kind of suction net located under the sand. These filters are moderately effective, only suitable for small aquariums, and tend to clog.
- Therefore, you can choose between internal and external “settling tank” filters. Exterior filters are better but require a piece of furniture to hide them. Internal sediment filters are usually a bit less efficient and are not scalable: it is difficult to remove as it is strongly trapped in the walls of the aquarium. On the other hand, it “eats” a large portion of the space inside our aquarium, which is a shame …
- Remember that the filter does not necessarily come with its filter media: so you will have to buy foam, person pads, and other ceramic that match your filter, ask the seller for advice.
- The flow rate of the filter pump must be adapted to the size of the aquarium.
- Heating is essential if you want to place tropical fish (often more diverse and colorful than freshwater and cold water fish). The heating capacity depends on the minimum room temperature and the desired water temperature (usually 25 ° C).
- If these parameters are not known accurately, the easiest way is to use an overheated boiler.
- Aquarium aerators are a useful device even if they will not be used permanently (unless you don’t want plants to live). The bubbles are very helpful when starting the aquarium, in the summer, during a nitrite problem or after drug-based treatment. So even if bubbles are not always helpful, you have to buy them from the beginning.
- The accessories that come with air bubbles are flexible and transparent air hoses, air diffusers, and non-return valves. The size of the bubbles must be adjusted to match the size of the aquarium, the bigger the tank, the stronger the foam will be.
- Aquarium floors are important if you want to place live plants. It really should be good support for the latter (thick enough, cool, and nutritious). The soil will consist of a sand surface that is the best selection for a dark color and average particle size (from 0.25 to 0.5 mm).
- Indeed, too rough sand is not beautiful and is filled with waste quickly but too fine sand is not easily cleaned and does not facilitate soil breath.
- The soil bed will consist of an aqua base (or Aqualite) or a homemade mixture (15% clay, 35% clay soil, 50% sand). Between the two layers, it may be helpful to place a plastic net (which you can find in all DIY stores): this prevents the nutrient layer from rising.
Other necessary accessories
- There are many accessories, we will only introduce here that may be useful for beginners. Here is a list of accessories and products that you must buy at the same time as your aquarium:
- The neon tube adapts to your collection;
- A landing net to handle fish;
- An alcohol thermometer to control the temperature of the tank;
- A mechanical timer for lighting;
- An encyclopedia on fish and plants like Mergus;
- A water conditioner like Tetra’s AquaTan;
- Bacteria live to start the filter (eg Bacnet);
- A stimulant for bacteria like Tetriv’s Nitrivec;
- Nitrites (NO2-), Nitrates (NO3-), pH and Hardness (TH or GH) tests;
What to know about 15 gallon tank
Purchasing an aquarium includes a variety of chances to include a continuous collection of accessories to your arrangement. There are a couple of things that an aquarist ought to purchase the same time as the aquarium. As an example, a neon tube that will adapt to your collection, a touchdown internet to catch fish, a thermometer to examine the temperature, a water conditioner, a mechanical timer for lights scene, nitrites, nitrates, pH and firmness tests, as well as much more.
These are a couple of things that can profit most newbies and also maintain them prepared for all sort of circumstances. Likewise, after your fish tank gets on, you will certainly need to think of getting online and also floating plants for your aquarium– fish can utilize it as an alternative food if you fail to remember to feed them.
The front of the aquarium can have small plants, a tree or two in the center, etc. The plants should be compatible with the pH of your water. Your fish must be living in the right water temperature. You will additionally need to think about the amount of fish you are going to keep in your fish tank without crowding it too much, and also the checklist goes on. It’s a continuous situation. And it’s fun.
Do you need a 15-Gallon Fish Tank?
There are numerous factors as to why you may require a 15 gallon aquarium. From first, a 15 gallon aquarium is the perfect option for beginners. Some people will certainly recommend the 10-gallon tank as the best choice. However, we believe that a 15-gallon aquarium supplies more tolerance with water chemistry. If you do not recognize this currently, the larger the tank is, the simpler it is to keep the water inside the storage tank stable. So, if you are simply starting out on your hobby, it would be best for you to start with a 15 gallon fish tank.
If you have a little workplace or a house, a 15 gallon fish tank can be a fine selection for such a space also because of the dimension of these tanks. Moreover, this tank will certainly likewise make the perfect size for a breeding setup for fish keepers, planning to level up their aquarist game!
Verifying as an useful addition for even the experienced aquarists, a 15-galllon fish tank can be utilized as a go-to tank for emergency objectives. For instance, if you are an aquarist and also one or more of your fish get ill, just put them in the 15-gallon storage tank until they’re fully healed. If you require to take them to a ichthyologist, simply get the fish in the storage tank as well as you’re excellent to go.
An aquarium, regardless of its size or form, works as an excellent addition to your living/office location. Whether you intend to up your room-aesthetics video game or charm your visitors currently, that’s up to you.
What Fish can go in a 15-Gallon Tank?
As we explained previously, a 15-gallon storage tank is an optimal selection to go with if you are a beginner and attempting to burglarize this hobby. Dwarf Corydoras, Barbs, Tetras, Guppies, Danios, and Platy Fish are some best selections for a 15-gallon tank. You see, as long as you are getting little, serene 1-2 inches fish for your container, whatever must be a wind.
Here are some instances of vivid fish which you might keep:
- Guppies (active real-time bearing fish, males have dynamic shades)
- Tetras (schooling fish which come in a wide variety of shades)
- Danios (hardy and also vibrant schooling fish)
- Barbs (lively, easy to take care of schooling fish)
- Dwarf Corydoras (gentle bottom home fish)
- Platy Fish (peaceful yet vibrant fish that are happiest in a group).
Along with maintaining fish, you could likewise wish to maintain some invertebrates in your aquarium. There are plenty to select from:
- Cherry Shrimp
- Amano Shrimp
- Nerite Snails.
What Pet Fish live the lengthiest?
Here are some Tips:
Amongst the freshwater fish, it’s the fish that lives the longest. In a healthy and balanced, appropriate environment, these fish can live align to 15 years.
Similarly, a Goliath Tigerfish with sharp teeth as well as the capacity to assault human beings is one of the most tough fish to keep– we ‘d advise you to avoid that one unless you are up for some adventures. Zebra Danios, Mollies, Tetras, Goldfish, and Guppies, etc. are some of the easiest fish to take care of.
How To Setup 15 gallon Fish Tank
Select the placement for the tank as once added water it comes to be very tough to relocate. Ensure the place you have actually picked is level, far from any type of straight sunlight and far from warm sources.
Tidy the tank by cleaning with a new fabric as well as warm water to eliminate any kind of dirt (it’s important to not use any type of old-equipment incase old chemicals get involved in the water).
Lay 2 inches of substrate on the base of the storage tank.
Include the equipment to the fish tank, consisting of the filter, heating system, lights and also thermometer.
Fill up the container 2/3 of the means up with water, and after that place your plants and designs. Bear in mind to load the tank up to the fill line as well as add a de-chlorinator to make the tap water secure for your fish.
As soon as the tank is full, switch over the devices on and leave the container to cycle for 4-6 weeks.
Use a testing package to examine the pH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates throughout the cycling period.
The container is ready once you’ve seen the ammonia and nitrates spike and also settle back to 0ppm; nitrates must be less than 10ppm.
The majority of people miss the biking phase however this is crucial if to supply fish with a healthy and lengthy life.
Some other information
- The list given above is an essential list for a good start of the aquarium. Once the aquarium is in water (say after a day or two), it will be necessary to think about buying plants.
- You should choose plants for the front of the aquarium (small plants), for the middle (medium trees), and the bottom (large trees) of the aquarium. Plants must be compatible with the pH of your water: take a pH test and list the plants you can order. The bigger the fish tank, the more the plants. Consider buying from 5 to 60 plants depending on your aquarium size.
- At the end of 3 or 4 weeks, you might consider introducing your first fish (not before because it starts to establish a biological equilibrium, if you don’t respect this rule, the fish of You will not live long …). To choose your fish, they must be compatible with the pH and water hardness (use the tests you bought).
- An example: for 120 liters, we can place up to 20 adult fish under 6 cm. Do not place more than 20 fish because you will face serious problems. If you order ONLY very small fish (up to 4 cm), you can place up to 30 absolute.
- You can’t buy all these fishes at once because this will upset the balance of the aquarium, so you have to spread out buying the fish for a few weeks (3 to 4 weeks). In addition, you should consider buying fish food.